At Bandit Gang, the end of the year means the end of year interviews. All members are put to the test one by one about the events of the past year that shaped them. Private as well as business. In these interviews in which no mince of words will be stated, no taboos exist, sometimes harsh words are used and where you get a nice insight into the soul life of the interviewee.
Babyjosus: Welcome Escan, you are the next in line after JSN. How would you reflect on the year 2021?
Escanbryt: I’m sad that the virus is still around and public life is still so restricted. But I had/have a big project on my job that I can spend my time and energy on and it’s very rewarding to see the outcome these days. And I won’t spend the next lockdown alone, which is also very great!
BJ: Sweet! How have you enjoyed your journey regarding the Seasonal Mode articles?
E: I’m glad I pulled that through. I didn’t just want to let that segment end when they changed the rotation cycle, and I like the new format that we have now. Most seasonal metas remain quite solved anyway, so I think you can come back to these articles for a long while.
BJ: Which article are you the most proud of this year?
E: The seasonal compendium as a whole, which was certainly the biggest BG project for me in this year. I also love participating in our new meme / theme snapshots.
BJ: What was your most memorable moment in 2021?
E: A wedding that I attended in summer. It was just so relieving to have a proper celebration after such a long time. And it’s also where I first met my girlfriend.
BJ: Lucky you! And speaking of weddings, they usually have music on there. Any new music you listened to this year and would recommend?
E: I like the new records from Architects, Gojira, Twelve Foot Ninja or Kælan Mikla, as a few examples. And a band that i only learned about this year is Arcane Roots, but their music is already a few years old and they are unfortunately disbanded by now.
BJ: Is there anything that you would like to do next year?
E: I want to travel again as soon as it becomes possible in a safe way. This year I could at least go to Sweden for a week, but that was business related and not for vacation unfortunately.
BJ: Do you have any new year’s resolutions?
E: Things are going very well for me now. I want to remind myself often enough to humbly appreciate them.
BJ: Anything you want to say to the reader in anticipation of 2021?
E: I hope that deckbuilding in Gwent will remain fun, cause these are the kinds of articles that I enjoy the most right now. Also the collaboration with team members on the patch 9.6 deck guides was really cool and I want to continue this.
BJ: Cheers and happy holidays!
*Escan's Top 10 Cards of 2021
*Escan’s top 10 starts at 1 instead of 10.
1) Idarran of Ulivo – wonderful card design that enables so many meme combos that range from utter trash to actually decent. Unfortunately ruins the Plus One seasonal mode.
2) The Mushy Truffle – I really like this card design, has good value, optional carryover, and fits well in many different kinds of decks.
3) Meditating Mage – My card reveal from October. Had his one month of fame with the all in deck, is rarely seen nowadays. Nonetheless the design idea is quite creative, it was just too strong in the beginning.
4) Arachas Queen – My favorite card from the recent 12 card bundle. Works well for swarm decks and deathwish decks alike and is mitigating tall punish with its Deathwish. At least if it’s not something like Heatwave or Yenvo.
5) Ardal aep Dahy – I like the design of this card. Currently working on a deck with Tactical Advantage and Cantarella, could be fun.
6) Torque – Has briefly revived the Handbuff archetype and I’m now on 90/100 Invigorate wins due to him. A few weeks later that deck didn’t find any success anymore, probably because the devotion condition is too much of a drawback.
7) Illusionist – Can be a monster for his 4 provisions if he finds a good target. Also enables funny NG soldier decks.
8) Coën – Difficult to set up, but a nice points-swing if it works. His provision buff to 6 provisions made him easy to combine with Blue Stripes Commandos, had a lot of fun with that deck.
9) Morvudd – Mercernn’s Deathwish deck made me realize how easy it is to gain great value from this card. Nightwraiths or Wererat can easily swarm the board with rats and Harpies are beasts as well.
10) Rience – Conditional card with quite some deckbuilding requirement, but creative design. Just needs a well thinning deck and ideally also some protection for his order ability.